Cockroaches breed quickly and are known carriers of infectious diseases, including salmonella, dysentery, gastroenteritis and typhoid. Their faeces are also associated with triggering eczema and asthma. They contaminate food and objects whey they pass through. They have a nasty smell too. Common types of cockroaches found in Hong Kong include Periplaneta americana (American cockroach), Periplaneta australasiae (Australian cockroach) and Blattella germanica (German cockroach).
When cockroaches are found in your household, quick action is essential to stop the breeding and likely infestation.
Several effective ways to prevent cockroach infestation
Don’t leave any food for cockroaches
- Keep the house, especially the kitchen, dry and clean.
- Store food properly and thoroughly clean up the residue after feeding your pet.
- Put all garbage and food residue in a covered trash can. The trash cans should be emptied at least once a day.
- Garbage bags should be tied before disposal to prevent garbage spilling out.
Eliminate cockroach hideout sites
- Clean up trash and clutter, especially old newspapers and magazines in your home.
- Check the bottom, back of furniture, and hidden places such as dropped ceilings, ventilation ducts and wire ducts.
- Seal any cracks and gaps in the ceiling, walls and floors.
Prevent cockroach entering your home
- Install a drain cover, which can be opened for drainage.
- Block all openings where the pipes and wires of split air conditioning are installed on the outer walls, floors and roofs
- Apply a layer of at least 10 cm wide Vaseline around the drain hole to prevent cockroaches from crossing the hole.
- Install 2mm wire mesh at the drain hole to prevent the cockroach from entering the premises.
- Use sticky traps in places where the cockroaches were found frequently. Place traps in corners, shelves, or drawers on walls or floors, as circumstances permit.
Block their entrances
Cockroaches usually creep in from drainages of the kitchen and toilet. It is advisable to install drain guards on the floor to block their entrance. The drain guards are also effective for blocking unpleasant odour from drainages though regular disinfectant of the drainages with 1:99 diluted bleach is still important. Buy vertical or horizontal type of drain guards corresponding to the number of each type you have in your flat/house. See pictures below for drain guards now available for sale at our Perfetto store.